Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My family loves chocolate sour cream cake but doesn't like to wait for it. This uses a mix and is very easy to make. Just throw it together and bake.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxplain devil's food cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxdark fudge cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box chocolate instant pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt pan with Pam, then dust with flour.
- Shake out excess flour; set pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl blend the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, warm water and oil with an electric mixer at low speed for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Mix for 3 more minutes at medium speed, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl again.
- The batter should be thick and well mixed.
- Fold in chocolate chips, distributing them well throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the spatula.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake until the cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and just starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto the rack to cool completely, 20 minutes more.
We have made this several times, and it is a hit. I have also made the same thing only with lemon cake and pudding mixes, plus bluberries. Very versatile.
This is very good. I didn't have the sour cream so I used plain nonfat yogurt instead. It still came out moist.