Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Posted for ZWT6 German Region. This simple cake, made with oatmeal, chocolate chips, and coconut, is great for lunchboxes or a family dinner. It's very similar to German Chocolate Cake, but with more chocolate! And the cake is very easy to make because you don't have to cream butter and sugar together, and the topping is simply stirred together and spooned on the cake. *** Warning *** after placing topping on the cake it is extremely important that you watch this cake 100% of the time or it will burn/scorch quickly. It is a bit more labor intensive but turns out great with a watchful eye.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate, chip
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9x13" pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal with 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup chocolate chips. Pour boiling water over all, and let stand for 5 minutes. Then add the cocoa and mix well with a wire whisk so the chocolate and butter melt. Add 3/4 cup sugar and 1 cup brown sugar and whisk to combine. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla and beat until combined. Then add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix with a wire whisk until well blended. Immediately pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F for 25-35 minutes until cake pulls away from sides of pan and springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Prepare topping while cake is baking. Combine 1/3 cup melted butter, walnuts, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, coconut, cream, and 1 teaspoons vanilla in a medium bowl; mix well. When cake tests done, remove from oven and set on wire rack.
- Turn oven to broil. Drop topping mixture by small spoonfuls onto cake; spread very gently to cover. Place under broiler, 4" from heat source, and broil for 2-5 minutes until topping is bubbly and light golden brown. Watch this every single second, turning the cake from front to back so the frosting cooks evenly. It can burn in a couple of seconds, so keep watching! When the frosting is bubbling furiously all over the cake and is beginning to brown in spots, remove cake from oven and sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips. Let stand for 10 minutes, then carefully swirl the chocolate chips into the frosting with the tip of a knife.
- Cool and cut into squares. Serve warm or cool.
What a wonderful cake! So rich and decadent. I used Ghirardelli 60% cocoa dark chocolate chips and was also able to make it gluten free by using my favorite gluten free flour mix and by adding 2 T of ground flax seed. Like the title says, it is a simple cake ~ you don't need to drag out your mixer. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting this Hokies! Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Tag.