Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Pierre Herme wtih Dorie Greenspan
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (preferably Valrhona Gastronomie)
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over, but not touching, simmering water or in microwave oven.
- If needed, transfer the chocolate to a bowl that is big enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Keep the chocolate on the counter until needed.
- The chocolate should still feel warm to touch when you are ready to use it.
- Bring the milk to a boil, then pour it over the chocolate.
- Using a small whisk, gently blend the milk into the choclate.
- Add the egg yolk and whisk it into the chocolate, again working gently; stop when the yolk is incorporated.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed just until they hold soft peaks.
- Increase speed to medium-high and gradually add the sugar.
- Continue to beat the whites until they are firm but still glossy.
- Scoop 1/3 of the whites out of the bowl onto the chocolate mixture.
- Working with a whisk, beat the whites into the chocolate to lighten the mixture.
- Now, with either the whisk or a large rubber spatula, delicately but thoroughly fold the rest of the beaten whites into the chocolate.
- Turn the mousse into a large serving bowl—glass is nice; or into individual cups; refrigerate for 1 hour to set.