Cook1 hr 15 mins
I like this recipe as it simply uses sliced almonds and is very simple to make. A nice soft cookie that stores well if kept in an airtight container.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and extract.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt together (I use a whisk) and then gradually add it to the creamed mixture.
- Roll into 1-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten with a fork. Press down 3-4 almond slices into the cookie (kind of on their side).
- In a small bowl, beat egg white and water together.
- Brush over cookies.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until edges and bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
these cookies are buttery delicious, I used 1 teaspoon each almond and vanilla extract other than that I made no other changes, I baked mine in a air convection oven just under 325 degrees for about 8 minutes, great cookies Hoks, thanks for sharing!
Outstanding! First, I have to admit that I am a cook, not a baker, but I wanted to try something new. I followed the directions exactly and they came out so wonderful! I'm supposed to bring them to a church reception tomorrow, but my husband told me "sorry, there won't be any left" - and he's serious! My only note was that I used a 1" cookie scoop and only got 2 1/2 dozen normal sized cookies, so you'd need to double the batch to get the 5 dozen indicated. Made for Pick A Chef Fall 2008.