One of my favourite weekday dishes! This is my take on a Weight Watchers recipe a friend of mine gave me years ago. I've been making it often ever since, dieting or not! It's quick and simple to make and you can easily adjust it to your personal taste. For a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for the beef broth.
- Chop bell pepper and onion in bite-size chunks.
- Rinse and drain kidney beans.
- Heat oil in frying pan and saute bell pepper and onion chunks until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add beef broth and the kidney beans.
- Stir in tomato paste, salt (if using), chili powder and oregano.
- Heat gently but do not boil.
- Serve with fresh, crusty bread.
Wonderful! I used a red bell pepper and about a tablespoon of chili powder which gave it good flavor without heating it up too much (I wasn't in my usual spicy mood). I served it with a green salad and it was just the right amount of food for my husband and me. I will definitely be making this easy and healthy recipe again--thank you!
This is exactly what it pretends to be. A quick and easy weekday dish. The ingredients are likely to be in my cupboard or freezer (peppers) anytime, so it recommends itself for emergency whip ups. For all of us (2 adults,2 tods) I should have doubled the recipe. I added a leftover tomato and I might try it with some mexican spice instead of oregano next time, but it was good the way it was (just not quite enough, diet and all:)). Very childfriendly too. Gets some veggies into them.Really nice. Thanks for sharing, stormylee.