Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick and easy, simple chiles rellenos. Serve with refried beans and a salad.
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole green chilies, split lengthwise and seeded
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 eggs, separated
- In a greased 8-inch square baking dish, lay chiles out flat; cover evenly with cheese slices.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, moist peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat yolks until well combined.
- Fold beaten yolks gently into whites and spoon evenly over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 20 minutes or till egg is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Great recipe, so easy, Best Chilie Rellenos casserole I have made. Very tasty, served them with a Toastada. Recipe is a keeper.Thank you Jude.
Easy and very good. I used fresh pasilla chiles. It's a lot more work than canned but I like the texture better. I served this with a really spicy salsa, homemade refried beans, and a jicama/oranges salad. What I liked about this casserole compared to others on this site was the egg whites. They made the dish light and more similar to a traditional chile relleno.
This was a lower fat and easier to make alternative to traditional chile rellenos - all the flavor without all the work! We will definitely be making this again. UPDATE: This time I made this with queso cotija and cheddar (because that's what we had on hand) and it was delicious. Having two cheeses made the flavor a little more complex and interesting.