Recipe by Nasseh
A wonderful meal for a cold night. (I hate cooked carrots. Cooking them this way makes them fall apart & become part of the broth. You still get the nutrients without actually biting into them.)
Top Review by Annacia
Great flavors in this. The only pressure cooker I have is a HUGE canner so I had to use a regular pot. It only real change I made was to skip the tomato paste because I so hate to open a can, use a small bit and toss the rest out (which always happens). I added a bit of chopped fresh tomato to help replace it. My onion was so fine that it pretty much dissolved into the stew. My potato's were tiny, one bite size, Yukon Golds. I love the cumin and turmeric. This is a yummy, easy, one pot meal.
- 3 skinless chicken pieces (2 leg quarters & 1 breast)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 medium garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 carrots, bite size
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into 1 inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle a small amount of salt, pepper, cumin, & paprika on the chicken. (About 1/2 teaspoon of each spice for all 3 pieces of chicken).
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the pressure cooker. Add the olive oil, tomato paste, garlic, & the rest of the spices into the pot. (Don't forget 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, cumin, & paprika).
- Note: If you are using a regular pot instead of a pressure cooker the cook times are tripled & you may need more water.
- Place the chicken into the cooker & add the onions & carrot. Cook for 10 minutes, after it begins to hiss. (Regular pot, roughly 30 minutes).
- Remove chicken & place on a plate. Put the potatoes & 1 1/2 cups of water into the pot & cook for 4 more minutes, after it begins to hiss. (Regular pot, 12-15 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking break the chicken into small pieces (disregard the bones).
- Once the potatoes are done add the chicken back into the pan & stir. Pour into a serving dish & serve with warm bread.