Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great soup for those long winter nights! Don't forget to put some of the broth in a container and save in freezer until I feel like soup during the week :) You can use the cooked white meat for chicken salad!
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken (fryer, hen, not an oven stuffer roaster)
- 2 large onions (sliced in 4Ã ths)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 3-4 stalk celery (cut in 3rds)
- 5-6 large carrots (cut in 3rds)
- 1 small tomato
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes (Ã I use because I do not add herbs) (optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place chicken in soup/stock pot, add enough water to go around an ½ inch above chicken. Turn on heat to high. Add veggies, and pepper (I use 20-30 turns on my pepper mill). Make sure all veggies are covered with the water. Bring to boil, then bring it down to a simmer and cover. Simmer for at least 2 hours, but I do around 3 hours. Taste, and add some salt (to taste… NOT too much, add later in bowl, if needed).
- Let cool, then strain the soup into another pot (with a strainer). Now you can use the broth as is, eat some now add noodles, rice, whatever. The carrots, celery are still good if you want to add them to your bowl (or you can sliced some more when you reheat the soup later, just reheat in soup until soft) Pick the meat you would like off the bones (I pick off most of the white meat to make a chicken salad).
- After you place in frig -- the next day you can remove any fat that would come to the top!