Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like to use this for OAMC sessions. I usually divide the recipe into two making 2 8 x 8 pans. Try different kinds of beans and cheeses for a change.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ounces green chilies
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 12 flour tortillas, torn into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can black beans (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- black olives (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Combine onion, green chilis, soups, and chicken together in a large bowl.
- Place a layer of flour tortillas (1/3 of the total)on the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 pan. I use a pizza cutter to cut up the tortillas.
- Spread 1/3 of the soup mixture over the top.
- Spread 1/3 of the cheese. Layer 1/3 of the black beans, if using.
- Repeat two more times.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F or until bubbly.
- Top with salsa, black olives, and sour cream, if desired.
- Great freeze ahead casserole, don't bake first. To use:thaw overnight. Bake for about 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.
This was wonderfully quick and easy to make. I made it for my church's Lenten casserole night and received compliments and several requests for the recipe. My husband and teenage kids enjoyed it too. I did make a few additions. I added 3 small,fresh,red,yellow,and orange sweet peppers, chopped. I used about 1 1/2 lbs. fresh chicken breast, cubed and sauteed in canola and soybean oil blend, plus 1 13oz can of chicken. For the cheese I used 1/2 sharp cheddar and 1/2 mozarella. I substituted fat free plain yogurt for the sour cream on top. I also found there wasn't quite enough for the whole 3 layers in a 13x9x2 pan. (You could make the recipe even quicker and easier by using all canned chicken, and using the bagged,shredded cheese. The taste would be different, however.) A delicious, quick and easy recipe, I will make it again. Update: The second time I made this I used corn tortillas, and all cheddar cheese. Still really good!
This was really easy to make and it tasted great.
I made this in a 13x9 pan, and there was a ton left over, so next time I will definitely use two 8x8 and freeze one of them! It was delicious! It was also very easy to make. I just threw a whole chicken into my slow cooker in the morning, then mid-afternoon, shredded the chicken and put together the casserole. It was great!