Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple curry--ideal for a midweek supper!
- 50 ml oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml curry powder
- 15 ml garam masala
- 2 ml ground turmeric
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 15 ml freshly grated ginger
- 15 ml freshly chopped garlic
- 1 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 500 g chicken pieces (drumsticks and thighs)
- 2 parboiled potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- Heat oil and fry onion until slightly browned.
- Add curry powder, garam masala and turmeric.
- Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add cinnamon sticks, ginger, garlic and chopped tomato and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and 250 ml water and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and an extra 125 ml boiling water.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until chicken is tender and curry is slightly thickened.
- Season with salt to taste and serve with basmati rice and fresh coriander.