For best results here make sure your spices are nice and fresh! I serve mine with Cumin Mint & Coriander Yogurt
- 750 g chicken breasts or 750 g chicken thighs, diced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated finely
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 300 g basmati rice
- fresh coriander
- Preheat oven too 200°C.
- Place chicken in bowl with, cumin, garam masala & tumeric and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in dutch oven (or casserole) add the chicken in batches and cook 3-4 minutes or until browned all over, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, onion, ginger and garlic to the casserole and cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken in a single layer and pour over the stock.
- Put the lid on and place in oven.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the stock.
- Top with coriander before serving. I like to serve mine with cumin and mint yogurt.