Recipe by Sous Chef Bentley
This is it, my first recipe. I've been making this "Paella" for years. It's my husband's favourite. It tastes so good, everyone is always surprised when they hear it was cooked in the Microwave. Adapted from The Canadian Living Cooking Collection Series.
Top Review by kelly in TO
Even better the next day. We made the whole thing on the stovetop, and added some semi cooked chicken and sausage half way through cooking and let it simmer for about an hour in total. We also used brown long grain rice and added a half cup extra of stock. Thanks for posting this easy, tasty recipe!
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped (homemade is better)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (we love spicy foods)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, remove all visible fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped diagonally
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a 12 cup microwaveable dish, combine chopped sausages, onions, green pepper and garlic. Microwave uncovered at a High setting for approximately 4 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir halfway.
- Add long-grain rice, chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Stir and cover. Microwave at a High setting for approximately 8 to 10 minutes until boiling. Stir and cover. Microwave at a Medium setting for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cover. Microwave at a Medium setting for approximately 7 to 9 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Let stand covered for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with chopped green onions.