If you like nuts in your cake, stir 1 1/2 cups toasted chopped pecans or walnuts into the batter along with the carrots. Raisins are also a good addition; 1 cup can be added along with the carrots. If you add both nuts and raisins, the cake will need an additional 10 to 12 minutes in the oven. Below are instructions for using a food processor. **If making 2-9" round cakes, make 1.5-2 of frosting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 591.47 ml unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces)
- 6.16 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 6.16 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 453.59 g carrot, peeled (medium 6 to 7 carrots about 3 cups)
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar (10 1/2 ounces)
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar, packed (3 1/2 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- 354.88 ml vegetable oil or 354.88 ml safflower oil or 354.88 ml canola oil
- cream cheese frosting
- 226.79 g cream cheese, softened but still cool
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 14.79 ml sour cream
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 295.73 ml confectioners' sugar (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1For the cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13 by 9-inch baking pan (or 2, 9" round cake pans) with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment and spray parchment.
- 22. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- 33. In food processor fitted with large shredding disk, shred carrots; transfer carrots to bowl and set aside. Wipe out food processor work bowl and fit with metal blade. Process granulated and brown sugars and eggs until frothy and thoroughly combined, about 20 seconds. With machine running, add oil through feed tube in steady stream. Process until mixture is light in color and well emulsified, about 20 seconds longer. Scrape mixture into medium bowl. Stir in carrots and dry ingredients until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain. Pour into prepared pan and bake until toothpick or skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking time. Cool cake to room temperature in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours.
- 44. For the frosting: When cake is cool, process cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla in clean food processor work-bowl until combined, about 5 seconds, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Add confectioners' sugar and process until smooth, about 10 seconds.
- 55. Run paring knife around edge of cake to loosen from pan. Invert cake onto wire rack, peel off parchment, then invert again onto serving platter. Using icing spatula, spread frosting evenly over surface of cake. Cut into squares and serve. (Cover leftovers and refrigerate for up to 3 days.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting(Cook's Illustrated
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.0
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 76.8 mg
- Sodium 284.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 38.9 g
- Protein 5.0 g