Recipe by HokiesMom
Found in All*You Magazine many years ago. I love making this dish for our family - very simple and I can tweak it with different toppings so it always seems just a bit different.
Top Review by alligirl
Enjoyed this dessert last night, as a nice change of pace. The caramelization of the pineapple really adds to the flavor. I think I will add the banana next time (a la Foster preparation) for a little more tropical in the bowl! I chose to add a simple vanilla bean ice cream, so as not to disguise the flavors from the fruit. Thanks for sharing a simple, tasty recipe, HokiesMom!
- 1 whole fresh pineapple, cored (about 20 oz.)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
Optional toppings or ingredients
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream or 6 scoops frozen yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup toasted coconut
- 2 bananas, sliced
- fresh whipped cream
- 1 dash cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice pineapple into eight rings and cut each ring into 8 pieces.
- Warm butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. When butter begins to foam, add the pineapple and brown sugar (this is when you'd add the bananas if using that option).
- Cook, stirring frequently and make sure you are turning the pineapple chunks over while stirring. This should take about 4-5 minutes - just until the pineapple is brown and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and place into a shallow serving bowls and let cool 2-3 minutes.
- Place a scoop of ice cream/frozen yogurt on each serving and top with other toppings if desired. Or you can serve with just a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.