Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A traditional Eastern European dish, strudel is mostly served as a dessert. In this recipe phyllo dough will be combined with cabbage for a savory treat. Recipe found on Recipe4Living's website.
- In a large bowl toss together the salt and cabbage.
- Set aside for 15 minutes and than drain off any excess liquid.
- In a large skillet heat oil.
- Add the drained cabbage and green onions cooking over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Season with pepper.
- Lay out one pyhllo sheet and brush with melted butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Repeat this 3 more times stacking each sheet on top of the other for a stack of 4 sheets.
- Spoon 1/2 of the cabbage mixture down the long side of the stacked sheets keeping it about 4 inches from the edges.
- Fold in sides, roll up, and place seam side down on a buttered pan.
- Brush the roll with melted butter and repeat this procedure for the second strudel.
- Bake in a 350F oven for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let strudel rest 10 minutes than cut and serve.
We loved this, the black pepper really adds a nice flavor!
Living in Eastern Europe, I have eaten this before, and this is the perfect recipe! I prepared the sheets while the cabbage was cooking. I had a little under 2 lbs and it was plenty. When the ladies in Eastern Europe spoon the cabbage onto the phyllo, they spread it out over the sheet so that when rolled up, it is evenly distibuted through the layers of phyllo. Do not roll too tight so as to get a flat shape. I didn't use the breadcrumbs. Tips: Don't skimp on the black pepper and serve with sour cream! You will be impressed with the full flavour of this dish!