Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delightfully simple recipe for a gorgeous risotto, always an impressive dish. It is very important that you use arborio rice for the dish to work at its full potential. From the October 2006 issue of Olive magazine. You may find that you need up to 750ml of the hot stock depending on your stove etc;
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 250 g butternut squash, peeled and diced (or pumpkin)
- 200 g arborio rice (no substitute please)
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (or Grano Padano)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fry the onion in oil until just transluscent.
- Add thyme, squash and rice, stir until rice is well coated with the oil.
- Add 2 ladles of hot stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook stirring almost constantly until most of the stock is absorbed.
- Add the rest of the stock one or two ladles at a time until each addition is almost absorbed until the squash is tender and the rice is creamy and al dente.
- Season to taste.
- Scatter each of the 4 servings with cheese.