1/1 Photo of Simple but Wonderful Classic Potato Salad
I'm pretty particular about what I like, so I took my favorites from different Potato Salad recipes and played around until I came up with my own perfect version. Like most salad recipes, it's open to interpretation and is easily adaptable to your own likes. This makes enough for 4-6 servings as a side dish. If you're making for a pot luck or larger gathering, you will probably want to double it. This can be made vegan easily using Veganaise or similar. I'm a fan of real mayo but I have family members who aren't, so I've made it both ways and it translates well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (or a mix of the two!) or 2 lbs Red Bliss potatoes (or a mix of the two!)
- 1/2-1 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1Cut potatoes into small cubes and steam (not boil). Amount of time will depend on size of cubes, I cut mine pretty small so it only takes about 15 minutes. You want them to be cooked all the way through but not falling apart.
- 2When the potatoes are done, empty into a cookie sheet and spread out to cool quickly (I will often use a cooling rack in the cookie sheet to let air circulate better- they cool surprisingly fast this way).
- 3Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp of salt in a large bowl (use a larger size than you think you'll need so you can mix without making a mess of our counter and floor- learned this one the hard way -- ).
- 4Add celery, chives and cooled potatoes to the bowl with the dressing.
- 5Using a large spatula, slowly fold the ingredients together. This will take longer than regular stirring but will keep your potatoes in tact (especially if you over-steam your potatoes!).
- 6Once well mixed, taste for seasonings. Add additional lemon juice and salt as needed.
- 7Tastes best if you allow it to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, but it's not necessary if you're in a time crunch.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple but Wonderful Classic Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.1
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 825.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g