1/3 Photos of Simple Bulgarian Banitsa
mis liz's Note:
Banitsa is a very popular dish in Bulgaria, there are many ways to make it and variations in ingredients. My recipe is simple and has always came out great.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, ( glass pyrex pan works great for this recipe) brush melted butter all over bottom amd sides of baking pan.
- 22. Mix salt, cheese and milk and eggsin a bowl , combine and stir ingredients well.
- 33. Put down 5 sheets of phyllo dough down in buttered pan and brush over with melted butter. You can also put down one sheet at a time and butter seperatelly.
- 44. Pour enough of the mixture to cover phyllo sheets and top with 3 more sheets.
- 55. Continue to repeat the process: put down 3 sheets and make sure to brush them well with butter then layer with mixture until all of the mixture is done, then cover with atleast 2 sheets. I preffer not to butter the top sheets as they tend to get very hard after the banitsa is done baking.
- 66. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden, make sure mixture is cooked in the middle by cutting into banitsa. When the mixture is cooked it will not be runny.
- 77. Once banitsa is done cover it with either a towell or the lid to the pan and let it sit and cool before cutting it or serving. Covering it lets the steam soften the phyllo dough sheets.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Bulgarian Banitsa
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 153.1 mg
- Sodium 1086.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 11.5 g