Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Banitsa is a very popular dish in Bulgaria, there are many ways to make it and variations in ingredients. My recipe is simple and has always came out great.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, ( glass pyrex pan works great for this recipe) brush melted butter all over bottom amd sides of baking pan.
- 2. Mix salt, cheese and milk and eggsin a bowl , combine and stir ingredients well.
- 3. Put down 5 sheets of phyllo dough down in buttered pan and brush over with melted butter. You can also put down one sheet at a time and butter seperatelly.
- 4. Pour enough of the mixture to cover phyllo sheets and top with 3 more sheets.
- 5. Continue to repeat the process: put down 3 sheets and make sure to brush them well with butter then layer with mixture until all of the mixture is done, then cover with atleast 2 sheets. I preffer not to butter the top sheets as they tend to get very hard after the banitsa is done baking.
- 6. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden, make sure mixture is cooked in the middle by cutting into banitsa. When the mixture is cooked it will not be runny.
- 7. Once banitsa is done cover it with either a towell or the lid to the pan and let it sit and cool before cutting it or serving. Covering it lets the steam soften the phyllo dough sheets.