Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Banitsa is a very popular dish in Bulgaria, there are many ways to make it and variations in ingredients. My recipe is simple and has always came out great.
- 16 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 cups feta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, ( glass pyrex pan works great for this recipe) brush melted butter all over bottom amd sides of baking pan.
- 2. Mix salt, cheese and milk and eggsin a bowl , combine and stir ingredients well.
- 3. Put down 5 sheets of phyllo dough down in buttered pan and brush over with melted butter. You can also put down one sheet at a time and butter seperatelly.
- 4. Pour enough of the mixture to cover phyllo sheets and top with 3 more sheets.
- 5. Continue to repeat the process: put down 3 sheets and make sure to brush them well with butter then layer with mixture until all of the mixture is done, then cover with atleast 2 sheets. I preffer not to butter the top sheets as they tend to get very hard after the banitsa is done baking.
- 6. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden, make sure mixture is cooked in the middle by cutting into banitsa. When the mixture is cooked it will not be runny.
- 7. Once banitsa is done cover it with either a towell or the lid to the pan and let it sit and cool before cutting it or serving. Covering it lets the steam soften the phyllo dough sheets.
Would've been perfect but feta is very salty, too much so for two cups, I'm making it again using 1 cup feta and 1 cup cream cheese and not adding additional salt either. Also I didn't butter the top sheet last time and it just curled and crinkled under the heat, it has to be buttered so I'm watching it as it gets close to the end this time