Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A simple take on the tasty mexican pork dish.
Make and share this Simple Braised Carnitas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs boneless pork butt (shoulder)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cut pork butt into 1 inch cubes and place in a wide pan. Barely cover the the pork with water or low sodium vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and cook until all liquid is gone.
- Turn heat back up to medium-high and fry pork until fat has melted and pork has browned. Remove pork.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan. Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and chili powder, cooking for 60 seconds.
- Add reserved pork.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with yellow rice or rolled in a corn or flour tortilla.
I often make carnitas this way, except that I like to add a bit of lime juice when the pork is boiling. Thanks for sharing!