Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a simple and easy recipe for Borscht, from Classic Conran, Plain, Simple and Satisfying Food. There are many good Borscht recipes, this recipe creates a thinner but very flavourful soup which is sweet but still has that great earthy flavour. This is a great soup both hot and cold. Garnish with a swirl of soured cream or plain yogurt and some chopped chives
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup beetroot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 4 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Melt butter in a large pan over a gentle heat and slowly sweat the beet root, onion, carrot and garlic, turning the vegetables over in the butter.
- Add the sugar and stock to the pan, season with a few grinds of pepper, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Using a blender, blend the soup until it is entirely smooth, then add the lemon juice and salt to taste.
This was delicious! It was just what I was looking for, very simple and very tasty. The last time I made this I added some cabbage, dill and barely; I cut back on the sugar and I didn't purÃ© in the end because of the barley, it was still very good, just more hearty. This is now a staple recipe for me. Thanks!
Absolutely failsafe, and delicious hot or cold. I love love love this recipe.