Recipe by JoyfulCook
A delightful dessert full of flavor - The fresh berries really give a special taste to the pie, specially if they are picked by you. The Apple off sets the berries. loved by everyone
Top Review by Chef on the coast
I made this to take to a church potluck and all I got was rave reviews! :) The only thing I changed was the apples. I needed to use some home-canned apple pie filling - so did that. Thank you for sharing the recipe! I did bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and 350 degrees for an additional 30 - 35 minutes - the way I usually bake my pies. Made for the February 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
- 6 ounces shortcrust pastry, ready made
- 6 large cooking apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups blackberries
- 4 ounces sugar
- milk, to glaze
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel apples, and cut into thick slices. place in saucepan, adding enough water to cover and add the sugar.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the apples are just cooked but still a bit firm in the centre. drain and set to one side to cool.
- heat the oven to 220c.
- Roll out the pastry. place nearly all of the applies in a pie dish. scattering the blackberries evenly over the top sprinkle a dessert spoon of sugar over the berries , then place a layer of apple over that -- this is to stop the stain of the berries going through the pastry.
- Add the pastry and brush with a small amount of milk and drizzle a teaspoon or so of sugar over.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until pastry is a light golden color.
- I make this pie with minimum pastry and replace the sugar with Splenda for my cousin who is diabetic.
- Serve hot or cold with either, light cream or Ice Cream.