1/2 Photos of Simple Black Bean Soup
14 hrs 15 mins
Chef Jean's Note:
This is an easy to make soup, but has a very simple flavor. I like to make it and add different flavors for a quick lunch or snack. I use salsa and sour cream, or rice, ham and green onions, or just load it up with cheeses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse and sort the beans. Cover them with several inches of water and soak overnight.
- 2Drain the beans and put in large pot.
- 3Add the water, broth and ham hock. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 hours.
- 4Add additional water if beans become visible.
- 5Remove ham hock and let cool just until you can safely handle it.
- 6Remove the skin from the ham hock and discard. Finely dice the meat and discard the bone.
- 7Puree about half the beans in a blender or with a emulsion blender.
- 8Return the pureed beans to the pot and add the diced ham.
- 9Add seasonings and taste. Adjust if needed.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.1
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 838.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock