This is an easy to make soup, but has a very simple flavor. I like to make it and add different flavors for a quick lunch or snack. I use salsa and sour cream, or rice, ham and green onions, or just load it up with cheeses.
- Rinse and sort the beans. Cover them with several inches of water and soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and put in large pot.
- Add the water, broth and ham hock. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 hours.
- Add additional water if beans become visible.
- Remove ham hock and let cool just until you can safely handle it.
- Remove the skin from the ham hock and discard. Finely dice the meat and discard the bone.
- Puree about half the beans in a blender or with a emulsion blender.
- Return the pureed beans to the pot and add the diced ham.
- Add seasonings and taste. Adjust if needed.