Adapted from Family Fun: Like tacos, only neater to eat, taquitos have plenty of kid appeal. In Mexico, they're often deep-fried, but baking them works well too. It's easier and healthier, and the tortillas still turn golden brown and crispy around the edges. Served with salsa and sour cream, they make a quick and satisfying lunch or dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more
- vegetable oil, for brushing on the taquitos
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup salsa, plus more
- salsa, for dipping
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- 1Heat the oven to 400°.
- 2Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook them for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add the beef and use a wooden spoon or a spatula to break it up while it cooks, until it is no longer red, about 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa, the chili powder, and the salt and pepper. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- 4Place the tortillas on a plate and cover them with damp paper towels. Microwave them until warm and pliable, about 45 seconds.
- 5Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup of the beef mixture, spreading it to an inch from the edges. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the beef.
- 6Roll up the tortillas and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet with the seam sides down.
- 7Brush the taquitos lightly with vegetable oil, then bake them until the filling is heated through and the tortillas are lightly browned, about 8 to 12 minutes.
- 8Serve them hot with sour cream and/or salsa.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Beef Taquitos
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 598.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 70.1 mg
- Sodium 1504.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 30.7 g