1/3 Photos of Simple Beef Stock a La Julia Child
5 hrs 40 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This simple stock, adapted from a recipe in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," is a wonderful base for many soups, sauces, and, of course, for Julia's boeuf Bourguignon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the beef bones in a large heavy pot and cover with cold water by about two inches.
- 2Bring to a simmer over medium heat and skim the sum which rises to the top--this should take about five minutes.
- 3Add the remaining ingredients and more cold water so that everything is covered by at least an inch or two.
- 4Bring the stock to a simmer again, skimming as necessary.
- 5When the stock is simmering (Do NOT allow it to boil), partially cover and maintain at a very slow simmer for four to five hours.
- 6If the water level gets too low, add boiling water to the pot.
- 7Skim as necessary.
- 8When the vegetables and the bones have given their all to the broth, strain the broth and discard the solids.
- 9Set the stock, uncovered in the refrigerator until the fat has risen to the top and solidified.
- 10Remove and discard the fat.
- 11Taste the degreased stock (remembering it contains no salt) and if it is not strong enough, reduce it over medium heat.
- 12When the stock is cold, store in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Beef Stock a La Julia Child
Serving Size: 1 (710 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.6
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 133.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: