Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple and hearty, just for 2. Serve with cabbage or asparagus and mashed potatoes on the side.
- 1⁄2 lb boneless beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup dark beer (or stout)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Season beef cubes to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a heavy medium skillet over high heat; add beef and saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, remove beef to a bowl.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add carrots and onions, toss to coat with pan juices.
- Add flour while stirring and continue to stir 1 minute to lightly toast the flour.
- Stir in broth and ale slowly, then return the beef (and any juices in the bowl) to the pan.
- Cover and let simmer until beef and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or so.
- Season again with salt and pepper to taste and serve.