Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a really great winter warmer recipe casserole. I love serving this with mashed potatoes and it tastes even better the next day. Also, there are many variations you can make to this recipe. You may wish to add some chilli or thyme or carroway seeds. This comes from Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chuck steaks or 1 1⁄2 kg blade steaks, cut into large cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 (425 g) can diced tomatoes or 1 (425 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cup red wine
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Roll beef in flour mixed with paprika.
- Placed in an enamelled cast-iron casserole that will hold ingredients comfortably with not too much extra space.
- Add canned tomatoes to the meat.
- Add remaining ingredients to casserole and stir.
- Press a piece of baking paper over contents and cover with lid.
- Cook in oven, undisturbed, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Taste for seasoning, check if meat is tender and cook longer if necessary.
- Great served with mashed potatoes.