Recipe by www.thecookmobile.com
My first intention when I started the beef stew was to make it Vietnamese-style, adding ingredients such as lemongrass and brown sugar. But since I didn’t have the complete components of the Vietnamese recipe and it was too cold for me to take a trip to the store, I made a simple version of beef stew. And boy! was it delicious! I used the crunchy and chewy baguette slices to sop up the delicious beef stew sauce from my bowl!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 potato, cut into cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep sauce pot, combine beef stew meat, onions, garlic and bay leaf.
- Add enough water to cover meat.
- Simmer until meat is tender, adding more water as needed.
- When the meat is tender, add tomato sauce.
- Add additional water, beef juice in pot at this point should be around 4 to 5 cups.
- Continue to simmer, until sauce slightly thickens.
- Add potato and carrot cubes. Continue to simmer until potatoes and carrots are cooked, and beef stew meat is fork-tender.
- Mash one piece of the cooked potato in the pot to help thicken the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with thick slices of baguette.