Recipe by Chef mariajane
This chil recipe adapts well to your schedule - make it uo to 5 days in advance or freeze for up to a month. Add an avocado salad, corn bread, and brownies for an easy meal or casual get-together.
Top Review by Debbie R.
This is absolutely delicious. Instead of the tomato puree (what is that?), I put in a small can of tomato paste and 3 cups of water. Two would have been more appropriate, but it was so very, very thick. The recipe is from Cook's Illustrated, March/April 2003.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- table salt
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed non-reactive Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smokng, 3-4 minutes. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add half the beef; cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, 3-4 minutes. Add remainng beef and cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, and 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove cover and continue to simmer 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally (if chli begins to stick to bottom of pot, stir in 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer), until beef is tender and chili is dark, rich, and slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning with additional salt. Serve with lime wedges and condiments if desired.
- SLOW COOKER OPTION: At the end of step 1, transfer the cooked beef mixture to a slow cooker; add the rest of the ingredients as directed in step 2. Cook the chili on high for 4 hours.