Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a lower fat version of biscotti which my husband makes all the time to rave reviews. The reason is it lower in fat is because no butter or oil is used. Unfortunately, it is not low in calories because of all the sugar, but if you replace it with Splenda. This is a really simple recipe. The long instructions are just for the baking. Great when dunked in coffee, milk or red wine!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup whole roasted walnut
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven at 350°F.
- Mix first 3 ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Whisk sugar and eggs in a large bowl to a light lemon colour.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Sift dry ingredients over the egg mixture and fold until dough is just combined.
- Halve dough and turn each portion onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (or silpat).
- Using floured hands, stretch each dough into a rough 13 by 2 inch log. Place them about 3 inches apart. Pat each dough to smooth it.
- Bake about 35 minutes (until loaves are golden and just beginning to crack on top).
- Remove loaves from oven and cool the loaves for 10 minutes. Lower oven temp to 325°F.
- Cut each loaf diagonally into 3/8 inch slices with a serrated knife. Lay the slices about 1/2 inch apart on the cookie sheet, cut side up, and return to the oven.
- Bake, turning over each cookie halfway through baking until cristp and golden brown on both sides, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Variation: Lemon/Orange - Almond Biscotti:add 1 tbs of zest and 1 cup of almonds into the egg mixture.