Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional, fail-safe recipe. I adapted this from Natalie G. Sylvester's version in "The Home-Cooking Cookbook." Serve with a nice green salad and garlic bread.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for this, I use inexpensive olive oil from Spain)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sweet basil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces cottage cheese
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Brown meat and onion in olive oil. Add garlic, tomato paste, water, basil, parsley, salt and pepper, and sugar. Mix well, and simmer at least 20 minutes.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to directions on the package. Drain.
- Mix together the ricotta and cottage cheeses. Set aside.
- Layer the ingredients, in a prepared 9x12 casserole dish, in the following order: noodles, ricotta-cottage cheese mixture, jack cheese, and sauce. Repeat until all noodles, ricotta-cottage cheese mixture, and sauce are used up. Reserve a portion of the jack cheese to sprinkle a thick layer on top. (Don't make the cheese and sauce layers too thick, as your goal is to have enough cheese and sauce to use all of the noodles.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F about 20 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.