I love this recipe because it is so easy, and pretty fast! This makes a nice fresh tasting pasta bake; the tender noodles with the tomato-meat sauce and cheese is an excellent change from the regular spaghetti using a regular jar of sauce. The herbs give so much flavor to this dish- especially the rosemary! I don't remember where I got this, but the whole family loves it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces uncooked fiori pasta (or any other type you want, like ziti, bow tie, or rotini)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (medium sized, larger if you want)
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef (or 1/2 pound of Boca 'ground beef' or other beef substitute)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (If you have the leaf kind, be sure to crush it a little)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes (or two 14.5 oz)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (more if desired. You can use other cheeses as well, like mozzarella)
- 1Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. (while it is cooking, go to step 4)
- 3Drain and set aside.
- 4Spray a medium sized saucepan with the cooking spray, or if you want you can use a tsp of olive oil.
- 5Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute or so over medium heat.
- 6Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks, and drain the liquids. (If you are using a meat substitute, like Boca, you won't have to cook it, just throw it in and add a few tablespoons of water) Keep the pan at medium heat.
- 7Add the thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir to coat the beef, and cook for another minute or so.
- 8Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 9Then, reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes (or until you are ready to place it into the dish) Spoon a small amount of the mixture into the bottom of a 4- quart casserole dish (this should be barely enough to cover the surface).
- 10Top with half of the cooked pasta, and then layer half of the tomato mixture over the pasta, then layer half of the cheese.
- 11Layer the remaining pasta on top, and top the pasta with the remaining sauce (the sauce may be liquidy, so just pour it on) and cheese. I always just use enough cheese to make each layer, so it is probably going to be more than the 1 cup.
- 12Cover the dish with foil and bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. (During the last couple of minutes I take off the foil.)
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Baked Fiori
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.6
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 53.2 mg
- Sodium 415.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 25.1 g