Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you don't have saffron you can leave it out. Using instant rice brings down the total cook time.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips so the chicken will cook quicker
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- salt and pepper
- In a shallow dish mix flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Drege the chicken in the flour mixture. In a large skillet heat oil and brown chicken on both sides; about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the oil and keep warm.
- In a mixing bowl combine stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper (to taste), saffron and oregano.
- Brown rice in the left over oil in the skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until onions are translucent. Place chicken back in skillet and add stock mixture.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is fluffy and chicken is cooked all the way through.
I didn't have any saffron, but I did add 2 cups of small cut frozen veggies to make this into a complete meal for my family. Plates all clean, one happy mummy! Made for ZWT8 (The Fearless Red Dragons)
This was quite delicious, especially considering how simple it is to prepare. I did use saffron because we really like it. And I used regular white rice (because I don't use instant rice), and it worked out quite nicely. The melding of all the ingredients worked quite well in this dish. We ended up with a nice side dish of Spanish Rice to go along with the chicken. I will remember this recipe in the future for any Spanish-themed dinner because it was wonderful and so easy to make. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Queen Dana. Made for ZWT8 - Spain/Portugal.
This was pure comfort food. I loved that it was so simple to prepare and fast, too! The flavors work together very well. I'm putting this into my Best of the Best file, just because it was 10 star comfort food and it was so darn easy. Thank you! Made during the ZWT7 for the Golden Gourmets.