Recipe by ellie_
These muffins are great before school or for weekend breakfasts. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1984)
Top Review by Lalaloula
These muffins were really nice! They had a great flavour, very cinnamony and full of fruit. Also they were easy to make and your baking time was spot on. I doubled the recipe for a party I was bringing the muffins to and made a few changes due to personal preference: Used only half the oil called for and only quarter the sugar. Made up for the missing liquid with milk, which worked out nicely. My only complaint about this yummy recipe would be that the vanilla unfortunately didnt quite come through as much as I had hoped it would and it only yielded 20 muffins doubled. Other than that I really enjoyed these tasty treats as did all the party guests. :) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing with us, ellie_! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #19 February 2010.
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed,divided
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Grease muffin tins or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, blend 3/4 cup brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla with a wooden spoon.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in apple and buttermilk and mix throughly until combined well.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar with remaining ingredients (walnuts and cinnamon).
- Sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until muffins are browned and toothpick comes clean when inserted in middle.