Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this scribbled inside a book dated 1916 in my grandma's attic. It's still a bomb dessert after all these years.
- 5 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Placed sliced apples in buttered 8x8 pan.
- Add spices, lemon juice and water.
- In separate bowl, mix butter, sugar and flour until crumbly; sprinkle on top of apples.
- Bake for 1 hour or until top is golden brown and apples are tender.
I'm very impressed with this simple, yet scrumptious dish. I make it with splenda (sugar substitute) to cut down on the carbs and it tastes great. A hit with everyone I've served it to. I've made it about 4 times now with granny's, fuji's, red delicious and braeburn apples and each time it's turned out well.
Here's proof that sometimes less really is more. Very easy to make, this is the perfect dessert to finish a big, hearty meal, because it's so light and yet so full of flavor! I particularly liked that the topping stayed so crunchy - it was a nice contrast with the tender apples. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
This is simply DELISH!!! I will be making this on a regular basis. Thank you for posting!