Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband's favorite vegetable is spinach...it's actually the only one he likes! :) But interestingly we both prefer this simple, healthy and traditional version I learned from my mom. It's quick, easy and goes with almost anything!
- 2 tablespoons oil (you can use less, if you have a non-stick or heavy bottom pan)
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 4 pinches asafoetida powder (heeng)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 pinches salt
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- Heat oil in medium sized pan.
- On medium heat, Add mustard seeds, fenugreek and asafetida powder.
- Heat until mustard seeds begin to "pop".
- Then lower the heat a little, add the spinach and salt.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Uncover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Voila, ready to serve!
I enjoyed this okay--I went lighter on the spices, and even then found that some bites were a little bitter (but who knows the age of some of the spices I was using!). I also added one finely chopped onion and fresh spinach. Since DH is not a fan of cooked spinach, I slightly under cooked it, but it still didn't get his vote! His loss, I guess!
Very very good!!! I served this with some plain grilled chicken and a tomato and cuke salad. Hit the spot!!! Will make this again and again. thank you for posting