Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my modification of the best recipe in my mom's Junior Auxiliary cookbook. I've decreased sugar and oil without compromising the flavor or texture... I have to give out the recipe every time I share the bread! Recipe is for two loaves worth of batter.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce (veggie or coconut oil can be substituted)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil (veggie oil can be substituted)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (white sugar can be substituted)
- 4 -6 overripe bananas, mashed (as in BLACK they're so ripe)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (all-purpose works as well)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Mash bananas.
- 2. Mix sugar and all wet ingredients in to the bananas; coconut oil may need to be heated slightly to get it to liquid state before mixing.
- 3. Mix the flour, soda, and salt in with the wet mixture, just until combined.
- 4. Pour into greased loaf or cupcake pans (or use liners) and bake at 350 degrees for one hour (loaves) or 25 minutes (cupcakes). Check for doneness and adjust cooking times as necessary; everyone's oven is a bit different.
- This bread is even better with any of these added: a bit of cinnamon, semisweet chocolate chips, pecans or walnuts, or cream cheese frosting.