1/3 Photos of Simple and Healthy Zucchini Salad With Pine Nuts
Really simple! Zucchini can be a pain when they go on producing, and you've tried all kinds of recipes. This is so simple but is perfect when grilling meats outside. The recipe can be adapted in a myriad ways: use other nuts, use other cheese, whatever .... This little recipe served 2 when I invented it (is there anything new which can be invented??) I also made fried potato wedges, another large green salad with chopped tomatoes, and we grilled organic lamb chops on wood coals. Improvements to this basic recipe are welcome!!! Prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 zucchini, small (about 5 inches or 16 cm)
- flaked sea salt
- vinaigrette dressing (home-made or shop-bought, nice quality)
- 2.46 ml Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 59.16 ml pine nuts (heaped, I used a lot and didn't measure)
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, shaved (use any sharp, flavourful cheese)
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 1Wash, top and tail the zucchini.
- 2Using a potato peeler or mandoline, shave the zucchini into ribbons. Discard the outside edges and the last parts you cannot really slice properly.
- 3Put the zucchini in a sieve or colander, spirnkle lightly with sea salt, (lifting them with your hand to distribute evenly).
- 4Leave for 30 - 60 mins over a bowl to drain.
- 5Be generous with the nuts! Pine nuts are great, and I used about 2 1/2 oz. or more. Heat a small pan, add the pine nuts (but you can use halved pecans, walnuts or other nuts). Let the nuts heat and colour a little, shaking the pan (they burn easily!). Then take off the heat.
- 6Add the Tabasco to the vinaigrette, and whisk with a fork to mix. Don't use a creamy dressing, which does not suit this delicate salad.
- 7The zucchini does not shed a lot of liquid, so after some time, put it into a bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
- 8Shave the parmesan in large bits. (Or use any really sharp or flavourful cheese).
- 9Lift the zucchini from the dressing, into a shallow dish. Add the cheese to the shaved zucchini, and then sprinkle with the nuts. Sprinkle over black pepper.
- 10Nice with grilled meats like lamb chops or sausage, or chicken.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple and Healthy Zucchini Salad With Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.5
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 421.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 16.7 g