Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Really simple! Zucchini can be a pain when they go on producing, and you've tried all kinds of recipes. This is so simple but is perfect when grilling meats outside. The recipe can be adapted in a myriad ways: use other nuts, use other cheese, whatever .... This little recipe served 2 when I invented it (is there anything new which can be invented??) I also made fried potato wedges, another large green salad with chopped tomatoes, and we grilled organic lamb chops on wood coals. Improvements to this basic recipe are welcome!!! Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 4 zucchini, small (about 5 inches or 16 cm)
- flaked sea salt
- vinaigrette dressing (home-made or shop-bought, nice quality)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts (heaped, I used a lot and didn't measure)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved (use any sharp, flavourful cheese)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash, top and tail the zucchini.
- Using a potato peeler or mandoline, shave the zucchini into ribbons. Discard the outside edges and the last parts you cannot really slice properly.
- Put the zucchini in a sieve or colander, spirnkle lightly with sea salt, (lifting them with your hand to distribute evenly).
- Leave for 30 - 60 mins over a bowl to drain.
- Be generous with the nuts! Pine nuts are great, and I used about 2 1/2 oz. or more. Heat a small pan, add the pine nuts (but you can use halved pecans, walnuts or other nuts). Let the nuts heat and colour a little, shaking the pan (they burn easily!). Then take off the heat.
- Add the Tabasco to the vinaigrette, and whisk with a fork to mix. Don't use a creamy dressing, which does not suit this delicate salad.
- The zucchini does not shed a lot of liquid, so after some time, put it into a bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
- Shave the parmesan in large bits. (Or use any really sharp or flavourful cheese).
- Lift the zucchini from the dressing, into a shallow dish. Add the cheese to the shaved zucchini, and then sprinkle with the nuts. Sprinkle over black pepper.
- Nice with grilled meats like lamb chops or sausage, or chicken.
We loved this salad so much, that next time I will prepare the double quantity!<br/>It's very important to prepare the zucchini with salt, after one hour I rinsed it and placed over a sieve until dinner. For the dressing I simply used white balsamic, olive oil. This was really perfect.<br/>While the zucchini were draining I roasted the pine nuts for the topping.<br/>Thanks a lot Zurie for staying with us and giving your inputs.