Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is simplicity at its best. Served with cornbread and brownies, you get pure comfort food. I add extra basil and if you don't like split pea soup, substitute dried navy beans for split peas. Soak the navy beans overnight and increase first cook time to 2 hours and then stir in celery and carrots and continue to cook as directed. Also I add extra vegetables. Enjoy!
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas (2 cups)
- 2 lbs smoked ham shank
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 8 cups water
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped if desired
- In large saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients. Simmer covered, 1 hour, Stir in celery and carrots and continue simmering for 1/2 to 1 hour or until peas are tender and soup thickens.
- Remove peppercorns and ham shank, cut meat from bone and return to soup. Heat through.
This is a fantastic recipe! I made this with the left overs of a Cook's Ham and It was simply delicious. thank you for posting!
The name says it all: Simple and Good Ham & Split Pea Soup. Didn't use the carrot or the peppercorns because they were unavailable. But the soup was still very, very good. This one is a keeper.
Jan this is wonderful split pea soup! I couldnt find ham shanks at the store so I bought ham hocks, they worked great. When the soup was done cooking I pureed it in the blender so DH would not see the veges. I did use matchstick carrots, 3 stalks of celery and did not add the salt. Thank you sweetie, I have enjoyed this so much and will have to double the recipe next time!