Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Another mystery recipe. I have no idea where it came from but it sure is good especially when served with corn sticks, hot from the oven. My Corn Sticks. Plan to serve the next day, it's much better reheated. Ham shanks have meat on them, hocks do not. If you have to use hocks add a cup or so of chopped cooked ham.
- 1 lb great northern bean, sorted, washed
- 2 -3 smoked pork shanks
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb baby carrots, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 teaspoon coleman's dry English-style mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cover beans with water by 3 inches.
- Soak overnight in fridge, Wash and drain.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT pepper and salt in a large pot.
- Cover with water by 1/2 inch. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 90 minute
- Add water if needed as needed.
- Remove ham shanks, split their skins, remove meat.
- Discard the skins, fat, and bones.
- Chop the meat, return it to the pot.
- Season to taste.
- Simmer 10 minute more.
- May be served at this time but it's much better reheated the next day.
Perfect and super easy! I chopped the veggies the night before and put everything in the crock pot in the mornning.
This soup was great! I used a ham bone that I had in the freezer. I didn't have any garlic or dry mustard so I omitted them. It was still really tasty, I did add a couple of ham cubes at the end. Thanks for a great recipe.