1 hr 40 mins
Pierre Dance's Note:
Another mystery recipe. I have no idea where it came from but it sure is good especially when served with corn sticks, hot from the oven. My Corn Sticks. Plan to serve the next day, it's much better reheated. Ham shanks have meat on them, hocks do not. If you have to use hocks add a cup or so of chopped cooked ham.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover beans with water by 3 inches.
- 2Soak overnight in fridge, Wash and drain.
- 3Place all ingredients EXCEPT pepper and salt in a large pot.
- 4Cover with water by 1/2 inch. Mix well.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 90 minute
- 6Add water if needed as needed.
- 7Remove ham shanks, split their skins, remove meat.
- 8Discard the skins, fat, and bones.
- 9Chop the meat, return it to the pot.
- 10Season to taste.
- 11Simmer 10 minute more.
- 12May be served at this time but it's much better reheated the next day.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple and Easy Ham and Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 77.3
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 71.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked pork shanks