Recipe by good2bdunn
I've tried lots of split pea soup recipes with lots of different ingredients and discovered the simplest recipe tastes just as good.
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb bacon, ham hock or 1 lb meaty ham bone
- 1 lb dried split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bacon into smaller pieces and fry on stove top.
- Drain bacon leaving 2 tbsp bacon fat in pan. Set bacon aside.
- Add onions and carrots to bacon fat and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add to soup pot with 8 cups water and 1 lb split peas.
- bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes to 1 hour.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- puree half of soup and return to pot.
- add 1/2 cup milk for a creamier soup.
- add bacon and serve.