Recipe by Eat! Eat! You're skin and bones!
I got this recipe from the newspaper and wish I could remember the source. It is a delicious soup and so simple - and great with grilled cheese sandwiches! You can use milk or a lighter cream to lower the fat.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Nice soup, & easy to make! Used vegetable stock & 3 tablespoons of whipping cream, along with unsalted butter & a vadalia onion! A nice blend of flavors! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes, diced (about 8 or so)
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 5 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- cinnamon stick
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in stockpot. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, carrots, chicken stock, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, parsley, and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Cool soup and puree in a blender or food processor (hand blenders are best - that way you don't have to transfer the soup out of the pot).
- Reheat soup in pot, adding cream if desired.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Serve.