Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sometimes simple is the best! This is how dh loves his steak!
- 1 lb steak, trimmed of fat to within 1/4 inch (any cut you like just make sure it is a tender cut and good for grilling like sirloin, rib eye, etc.)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter or 1⁄2 tablespoon Butter Buds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt, course grind, to taste
- black peppercorns, course and freshly ground
- Trim any large fat around steak so that it is within 1/4 inch- prevents meat curling up on grill.
- Rub both sides of steak with butter or butter buds then repeat with olive oil. This will allow you the flavor of the butter without it burning as the olive oil raises the burn point. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow steak to come to room temperature letting it rest on counter for about 45 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, preheat gas or charcoal grill to highest setting- nice layer of white ash for charcoal.
- Place steak on grill and let it sear for one minute. Lift with tongs- never a fork as this will pierce the meat and allow juices to escape.
- Turn steak and allow to sear on other side for one minute. If you want crosshatch grill marks, turn 45 degrees and lay steak down on grill to sear crosshatch lines into the meat.
- Allow steak to cook for about 6 minutes total for medium rare, about 8-10 for medium and longer for well done.
- Remove steak from grill and let rest on platter or cutting board for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Resist temptation! Do not even pick any crispy edges off. The meat will relax and all the juices will redistribute making this the juiciest steak you may have ever had.
- Now you can add any other seasonings you like. DH likes it just as it is.
Delicious and simple steak. Since we used filet mignon, we skipped the butter and oil. Timing was right on for this thick of steak to make it medium.
What a great tasting steak; more calories that are needed but I have admit the extra really gives your steak Wow! My DH says it's the best. We made it with a T-bone. Thanks for posting;made it for ZWT5. Rita
It's hard to believe that you can make steak this simply and still have it turn out so delicious. I used a nice thick strip steak and had the steak topped with a little steak sauce and horseradish sauce and enjoyed it with Grilled Parmesan Potatoes (#363122) and Baked Corn on the Cob with Garlic Herb Butter (#305558). Made for ZWT5.