Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great camping or campfire recipe. I also make this at home as I had this breakfast at an old time family run restaurant. I couldn't get the recipe but this tastes close and DH said it is great. You can sub in ingredients that you normally would use or follow the recipe. I like the versatility. I have made it several ways now so will list some varied ingredients at the end. This is an easy recipe to make into a 1 person or 10 person recipe. I imagine it could also be made larger but I have yet to do more than 10 guests for breakfast since making this.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (I used provolone or cheddar- but your choice)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cooked potatoes or 1 cup home fries
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper (green, red, or yellow, or mixed)
- 1 cup salsa (heat is your choice) (optional)
- In a bowl whisk eggs, milk, and cayenne and black peppers together.
- In the meantime--In heated and oiled (medium heat) skillet put potatoes, green peppers and onions and let warm about 5 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture over potatoes and let cook a minute or two til beginning to set. Fold over eggs ( a soft scramble).
- Add in cheese, I just sprinkle over top, Let melt over egg mixture and then fold over a time or two.
- Put onto warmed plates and serve with salsa.
- diced ham, cooked sausage, leftover steak or chicken, polish or italian sausage, any leftover meat can be used.
- Broccolli, asparagus, baked beans, red beans, tomatoes diced no juice though,
- The sky is the limit.
I decided to go with my own ingredients and use some left overs from pizza night so into it went red and yellow capsicum/bell peppers, mushroom, smoked salmon and gooey mozzarella, sharp cheddar and aged parmesan pizza cheese mix. Made for a filling and great breakfast, thank you Chef1MOM-Connie, made for the Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #57 October 2011.
We%u2019ll be doing a lot of camping over the next seven months, so I did a %u2018test drive%u2019 on this at home. Wonderful flavours and so versatile. I used colby cheese, green pepper (capsicum) and red onion. Also added several chopped mushrooms. I didn%u2019t have any salsa on hand, so subbed with a spicy tomato chutney. It looks very pretty on the plate and takes no time to make. Thanks for posting.
Wonderful breakfast! I used cheddar cheese and home fries. Very filling and delicious. Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '11