Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe handed down from Simone, my best friends Mom and I have been making since 1998 with each years garden harvest of fresh tomatoes.
- 7 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped (25-30)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 mild red chili pepper, chopped
- 2 large jalapenos, chopped (remove all seeds for mild, half for medium, leave em in for hot!!)
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Mix together and simmer without cover couple hours or til desired consistency.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
- (Water bath optional) Personally I just bag in Ziploc and freeze.
Very tasty and easy to make! I used three jalapenos with half the seeds, doubled the tabasco, and used a 16oz can of paste. I could not find a red chili pepper in the store so I threw in some ground red pepper. Turned out a perfect medium heat. Everyone who has tried it loves it! And the best part is I don't can and it option to freeze was why I tried this recipe. I will make it again! Thank you for sharing!
I was given about 25 Roma tomatoes and chose to make this and I'm glad I did! This has lots of flavor and made 3 i/2 pints of sauce. I did leave out the tomato paste, I didn't have on hand, and only used 1 jalapeno pepper(I'm a whimp). Lovely recipe! Thanks! Oh, I picked this recipe for the Chef of the Day game.
I love this recipe!! It makes a lot, and it tastes so fresh!