Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My best friends French mom has been serving this pie up for the past 30 Christmas Eves that I have spent with them since I was a young teen and now with my family. She so graciously shared the recipe this past season with all of us. I guess you could call this tourtiere perhaps.
- 3 lbs pork butt, cut into small cubes
- 1 lb lean beef, cubed
- 4 medium onions, diced small
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- boiling water, to cover meat
- 4 double crust pie crusts, homemade or frozen
- Boil 3 to 4 hours til meat is falling apart and most of the water is gone.
- Taste and add seasonings to liking.
- Leave meat overnite and skim fat off in the morning.
- Fill pie shells and top with pastry cutting slits.
- Bake 40 minutes at 425F.
- Makes 4- 9" pies.
- Prep time does not include overnite step.
- Cook time includes the boiling and baking.
These are the same meatpies my sister in law always makes at Christmas. They are always delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe so now I can make them too!