Recipe by lindseylcw
How cheeky of a Brit to give a recipe for meatloaf but I like this one as it is not at all sweet, just delicious.
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 pint milk
- 300 g white bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 100 g celery, finely chopped
- 225 g bacon lardons, cooked
- 700 g minced beef
- 200 g ground pork
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 slices smoked streaky bacon
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 35 ml olive oil
- 15 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg and milk together and pour over the bread, let stand for 15 minutes.
- Mash bread really well with a fork, season with salt and pepper and add the mustard, herbs, onion, celery and bacon lardons.
- Mix well then add the meat and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Chill for at least 2 hours, overnight is better.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, turn the mixture into a 12x5.5-inch loaf tin and top with the bacon slices.
- Cook for 55 minutes, take out of oven and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To make the sauce, fry the peppers until soft, whiz in a blender with the other ingredients until smooth.
- Pass through a sieve and season.