Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I came up with this having bought three eggplant in the bargain produce section. Yummy, warm and juicy! Perfect for a quick meal when reheated, just pop into the microwave. Healthy, low-fat, made with the healthiest vegetables!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 orange bell pepper, julienned (can use different colored bell peppers to enhance the color of the dish)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (can decrease if needed)
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, aged
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 8 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash salt
- Cut eggplant into halves lengthwise and remove the inside meat with a spoon, making sure to get rid of the more seedy parts if you don't like it (I did). Chop the inside of the eggplant that you just removed coarsely, set aside. Chop up the shells of the eggplant into squares, making sure that if you have a larger eggplant or an eggplant with a tougher skin to skin it.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil on low heat and cook garlic until browned.
- Toss in the eggplant insides and yellow and orange bell peppers. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for a few minutes on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, add 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for another few minutes.
- Add in chopped eggplant shells, dried basil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, black pepper and salt. Add in 4 tablespoons of water.
- Simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes or longer, depending how soft you want it. I simmer for 20 or so minutes so that it gets juicy.