Recipe by Irmgard
I found this recipe in a cookbook left for approval by the fellow who sells books at my workplace. This recipe is vegetarian, but you can add 1/2 pound of extra lean ground beef to the mixture before you start to cook it.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the oil, tomato paste, tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery and water in the crock pot.
- Stir in the pepper, chili powder, allspice, sugar, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in the parsley and basil during the last half hour of cooking.
- Serve over your favourite spaghetti.